Friday, July 1, 2011

Friday Favorite(s): Until Tomorrow Comes

July 13/2011 UPDATE:  So there is some pretty freakin fantastic news: Remember how I said you could vote for Danielle for the Warped Tour?  Well guess what?  She is PLAYING THE WARPED TOUR (to see her announcement check out this post).  So proud.  Such Ahhhmazzing news.  She deserves this more than anyone.  I really, really wish I was back in Pittsburgh so I could go, but I do know she is going to continue to play fantastic show after fantastic show and I will send her lots of love from North Carolina.  If you are lucky enough to be in Pittsburgh July 22 go check out the show, knowing that all of you are going will make me feel a tiny bit less sad that I'm stuck in Charlotte for this.  I promise you will not be disappointed.  To keep updated with Warped Tour announcements don't forget to check out her blog and "like" her on Facebook.  Congrats & Good Luck to Danielle!


It would be a shame if my Friday Favorites didn't make it to week two - so here it is.  Let's meet my Friday Favorite: Danielle Barbe -one of my favorite people/friends/people who I call sister, but am in no way related to/artists/bloggers/people to watch Julia Roberts movies with/person I can tell anything to without judgement -the list is endless just like I know our relationship will be. 
Freshman year, where it started


Yes we went on a carriage ride &
yes we match.
Danielle obviously deserves a shout-out for being an amazing friend.  Butttt I probably can't loan her out  so sharing her music is the next best thing.  After getting to know Danielle freshman year of college I found out she was in band, but I never really realized how great her God given talent was until I first heard her sing/saw her preform.  She is so down to earth and friendly its hard to imagine her getting on stage and rocking out, but let me tell you she can ROCK OUT.  If you ever have the opportunity, check out one of her shows  (you can check out tours as she posts them on her official website.  I honestly am not sure how many times I have seen her perform or listened to her songs, but I still enjoy every show because she sings with such passion and adds something different every.single.time - trust me I have the attention span of a child so if I'm entertained you will be too.  If you can't catch her live check out her self-titled debut album available on iTunes.  Honestly my taste in music is something I value so I would not recommend it if I didn't like it myself. But, I get it.  I would be skeptical if someone was telling me to check out their friends music because they would of course be biased.  So don't trust me trust how you feel after watching her music video of her song Ghost Town:

 
Yes, I have an obsession with sequins so that just makes this video that much better

    What is special about Danielle is unlike many artists who have someone telling them what to sing, what to wear, what to say to fans, etc., she is 100% real and creative in her own sense.  Nowadays it seems like there are more and more "singers" yet, many of these people are just auto-tuned to perfection - not gonna bash anyone here, but without my leading I'm sure you can think of one or two reality stars who sound more like a computer than an actual person. 
    Even if Dani poured a million drinks down my throat I would never, ever do karaoke with or after her.  Something she does it often with her band - besides the obvious unfair advantage - her singing in a little dive bar in public, even in a joking or playful manner, shows that her talents are real.  Also unlike some stars of today, Danielle doesn't shop around for the next great single, she creates her own.  Danielle has played a part in every single song she has recorded.  I'm sure that's not the easy way to go and maybe sometimes it isn't the "best" way to go according to an industry exec, but the thing is by her doing this you can hear the passion in her songs, she is singing about what she knows, feels, loves.  Sure everyone could sing about heartbreak - we all have experienced it- and fit emotions to a song that some writer they never met created, but why force something when you can create it yourself?
    I know that her following her dreams might mean her having to leave Pittsburgh and that would cut into our girl time, but I know what she supported me when I chose to leave - came to visit no less.  I know it would be selfish of me to not support her even if it means her being on the road or residing in a different state because this is what truly makes her happy.  More than that it would be selfish of me because her touring means so many other people get to hear her songs.  To me music has always been one of those things that gives you a common connection to others in this world.  Sometimes on a bad day you just need a sad song to let you cry it out or a happy one to get you out of the funk you are in.  There are certain moments that will forever be defined by the song you were listening to. I mean music is so integral in our lives -from lullabies to happy birthday, to Christmas carols, to pomp and circumstance to the wedding march to the song played at a funeral and every single song in between. We relieve our memories with a soundtrack to our lives.

Danielle won MTVU's Freshman Video of the Week
   I am always proud of Danielle in terms of the person that she is regardless of anything that she does with her career.  She is such a genuine, kind, honest person and to me that is what is important.  Her accomplishments with her singing though are something I will always be proud of because she has worked so hard.  Most recently getting her song played on MTVU and having her song Wango Tango in the movie Vampires Suck. Right now she is competing for a spot on the 2011 Warped Tour (So simple to vote, if you liked what you have read/heard today cast your vote to support her at: Battle of the Bands Website). While all these accomplishments, awards, etc. will always be important and things to be proud of what is most important is how her music can touch someone.  Maybe some girl out there is struggling in a relationship and hears one of Danielle's songs and feels better.  Maybe someone feels stuck, but is afraid to leave their small town and make their lives great will hear one of Danielle's songs and change their situation.  Those things will be the accomplishments that matter the most even if they are are never documented or if Danielle never knows.

Check out Danielle's blog.


   Like I mentioned Danielle has a style that is all her own. I always love her outfits, but since I've always been brutally honest I will admit there have been a few times I have seen her purchase or pack some clothes where I think, "there is not one person in this world who can pull that off/make it look good.-"-yes, I know hypocritical considering I own one too many sequined items.  Yet, every.single.time I am wrong.  She puts it on and it looks good.  So if fashion is more of your scene than music you still will want to check out her blog.  Feel free to follow her on twitter or check out her FB Page  
    Welp, another week down & another new Friday Favorite.  Hope you enjoy & have a new playlist to listen to this weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Danielle is super good, Mallory! I've listened to some of her links that you've posted in the past and voted for her. I love her style too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe thanks for the votes, I know Danielle appreciates it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is awesome!!! Can't describe how wonderful she is!

    ReplyDelete