Music changes & adapts to the times. While many of the same ideas or chords are used over and over new music is created daily. Yet, there are some songs that have no bounds generationally. No, I'm not talking Christmas carols or National Anthems here. I'm talking songs like Hallelujah. I absolutely love everything about this song. It was originally Leonard Cohen's, but Jeff Buckley was somehow able to take the amazing lyrics & music and take it one step further in my opinion. From the opening sigh to the amazing instrumentals to the soothing voice to the perfectly written lyrics this song is just that perfect.
Many people have tried to cover this song-which even when its not done great is still worthy of praise because J. Buckley set such a high bar it's daring to try and perform it.
A while back I heard Justin Timberlake's Help Haiti version & fell in love. I also heard Kate Voegel perform it - typically its a male singer so it was interseting to hear a female voice.
So If you already love this song, maybe you will find a different version you love more. Otherwise maybe I am introducing you to a great song. Either way take a listen to the different versions I found- I seriously could listen to this song all day- lucky for me after a busy few days I could take it easy.
The original - so thankful he wrote this song.
Jeff Buckley performing my favorite version of one of my all-time fav songs
The opening instrumentals & live version of this song are worth watching
J. Timbs + an amazing song. What more can you want?
Great female version - Kate Voegele
Sheryl Crow live
Bon Jovi
John Cale
Gotta love YouTube. Enjoy. Let me know your favorite version or favorite song. Happy Listening - MH
One of my all time favorite songs. So haunting... but in a great way!
ReplyDeleteyou are exactly right. I wonder if my emotions about this song would be the same if he wasn't lost so young, but this song is just soo, soo amazing. Glad someone finds the same things in it I do.
ReplyDelete