Also check out my Friday Favorite from two weeks ago. There's a pretty special update & by pretty special I mean you HAVE to check it out- its time sensitive news so check it out now! Like I said I only endorse good music & favorites!
I now officially sound like one of those professors who spend the majority of the class giving updates. Now that it is all taken care of check out this week's:
I now officially sound like one of those professors who spend the majority of the class giving updates. Now that it is all taken care of check out this week's:
Time for a new favorite - guess I learned the age old lesson of sharing so I like to tell others when I find something great. Today's favorite is one of my newer favorite blogs & a non-profit that will make your heart happy. I like recommending blogs because word of mouth is how I find blogs I love. There are so many out there that I really don't want to spend the time following "ok" blogs. I have to be drawn to them for one reason or another. Call me a hater but if I don't know the blogger, don't think the blogger is genuine/honest/interesting, or don't have anything in common/can't learn anything I might as well move on.
The blog, that is my Friday Favorite is something I never sought out nor was expecting to find. Rather it was a Google search of epic fail proportions, or so it seemed – I think sometimes what seems like a failure is really just the universes way of giving us what we really need. It was some time after the draft and I was probably avoiding studying (hey, at least I'm honest) when I decided to see what the stats & accolades were for a Baron Batch draftee for the Steelers. So this is where Google failed me - to this day I cannot tell you about the facts that will matter as Batch takes the field. I'm sure they are impressive, (he was picked by 6 time Super Bowl Champs - so in no way am I diminishing what he did on the field) but some times the stats of life are more important.
The blog, that is my Friday Favorite is something I never sought out nor was expecting to find. Rather it was a Google search of epic fail proportions, or so it seemed – I think sometimes what seems like a failure is really just the universes way of giving us what we really need. It was some time after the draft and I was probably avoiding studying (hey, at least I'm honest) when I decided to see what the stats & accolades were for a Baron Batch draftee for the Steelers. So this is where Google failed me - to this day I cannot tell you about the facts that will matter as Batch takes the field. I'm sure they are impressive, (he was picked by 6 time Super Bowl Champs - so in no way am I diminishing what he did on the field) but some times the stats of life are more important.
Google directed me to Batch’s blog as the first hit when I searched for him. Considering I was just getting into blogging I figured why not check it out even if it wasn't the same Batch; It was & I'm glad I did. The types of stories/blogs/columns/whatever I like to read are ones that tell stories in a conversational manner. Batch has an innate ability to tell stories- the posts are written in a way that you can either visualize the story or it's as though you are hearing him have a dialogue. It's hard to understand why I like the writing unless you just go read it yourself. Plus there are some blogs I follow just for the photography & this blog isn't lacking on that - considering all my pictures are currently being shot with my iPhone I appreciate real photography.
Pretty soon Batch will move to the 412 and one of the first things he will notice (besides the fact that people refer to the city as an area code - I only just found out that's not "normal") is that the people are friendly and genuine. Now I lived in the land of Southern hospitality for a year and can confidently say Southern politeness has nothing on the true genuine niceness that Pittsburghers display. That's why I have no doubt that this kid from the land of cowboy's wearing denim, boots, chaps, bandanas and guns while using pick up trucks as accessories to go to the nearest bar to drink some beer while using the word Y'all will fit in. Ok so maybe my image of Texas is is outright wrong as well as outdated and/or clouded by all of the desert sand I imagine. What can I say I'm human and stereotype - it's our faults that make us charming right? No? Ok moving on.
Pretty soon Batch will move to the 412 and one of the first things he will notice (besides the fact that people refer to the city as an area code - I only just found out that's not "normal") is that the people are friendly and genuine. Now I lived in the land of Southern hospitality for a year and can confidently say Southern politeness has nothing on the true genuine niceness that Pittsburghers display. That's why I have no doubt that this kid from the land of cowboy's wearing denim, boots, chaps, bandanas and guns while using pick up trucks as accessories to go to the nearest bar to drink some beer while using the word Y'all will fit in. Ok so maybe my image of Texas is is outright wrong as well as outdated and/or clouded by all of the desert sand I imagine. What can I say I'm human and stereotype - it's our faults that make us charming right? No? Ok moving on.
All jokes aside Batch writes from the heart. His posts are genuine and he faces (or at least admits) his faults and fears for all of the web (which is basically the world) to see. That is the main reason why I will continue to read his posts. There are so many blogs out there where people try to have post after post of their life being perfect, but we all know that nobody has a perfect life. Sometimes the things that are the most beautiful are those that have the most imperfections so I like that his blog has honesty. I also admire when a blogger is willing to let it all out there. I am normally like a vault with my emotions with the people who are the closest to me. It is nearly impossible for me to imagine telling of my private past experiences or of any of my deepest emotions on here. While I've always chosen to be honest on my blog you will rarely see me expose anything too personal. It's because I do not always delve into my feelings too often. It is something that I will try and work on, but until then I appreciate anyone who can.
Like I promised the blog is only part of the favorites of today. Batch also has a non-profit, 2ndhandimages. Still in his early 20’s Batch is already a self-described philanthropist. Self-described normally means proceed with caution in my book. But not in this case. I am a sucker for non-profits, just ask anyone who has asked for my money or time, but one thing that always pulls at my heart are children and animals - I won't cry in situations that warrant it, yet tear up when I hear about a child or animal in need - seriously one of the best things with getting rid of cable is I no longer have to search for the clicker at the first chord of Sarah Mclachlan's song to turn off the ASPCA commercial, but I digress. Apparently Batch went to Haiti and saw a need. He then founded 2ndhandimages which partnered with Operation HOPE to form a certified 501(c)(3) -legalese for a bonafide legit nonprofit. I love that 2ndhandimages is using wonderful photography to help others. With Batch’s help children in Haiti are now getting education. How wonderful is that!?!?! So many people wanted to help. Said they should help. Thought about helping. How many can actually say they did? Batch can. Besides the fact that the organization is helping children I support it because of how they are helping children - through education. To me that is the best way because it will not only help them now, but will help them lead a more successful future. So many children were orphaned after the earthquake. After losing one parent I cannot imagine losing both at a young age at a time when your whole country is suffering. When my dad died the whole community pulled through to offer their support and that helped tremendously so I cannot imagine going through the same situation in a community that is itself suffering. To me that's why EVERYONE has the responsibility to help. We are all the same community - the community of the world.. The kids still just have so much hope in their eyes - that's actually why I love children. They are so resilient. Check out Batch's blog to see some of the pictures that he took in Haiti- they are indescribable as well as moving, Check out 2ndhandimages' website as well. I checked before I posted this and it is now live.
Pretty impressive stuff, right? Lucky for you if you were one of those people who wanted to help, but haven't yet gotten around to it you now can.
Someday soon I hope to go back and look at Batch's posts from before I started tuning, so far I’ve only really looked at May until now. I have a feeling I wont be disappointed .Neither will you if you check it out. Batch has already captivated Pittsburgh media and fans with his blog. Let yourself be the next person he tells his story to.
Batch is lucky to be a Steeler. And Steeler Nation, Batch himself blogged that he is joining a new family, so to you I say welcome him with open arms. Support him by supporting his non-profit. This kid embodies what makes a champion. I'm sure he will show that when steps out onto Heinz Field with the cold breeze coming off the rivers, the city in the background, in front a human sea of fans waving their terrible towels, out of their golden chairs cheering. Yet, in the end the snaps, hits and touchdowns do just equal a game -yes, I know, first I left Pittsburgh (even tho I'm now coming back)& now I'm saying football is just a game- and while I want to see the plays that make Batch a champion, the plays matter a little less than what has already been shown. We all know that. The reason why it seems like it is more than a game is because football in this town personifies the hardworking blue collar city and commodore that Pittsburghers have. That’s why I think Batch will be/is special. He isn’t going to allow his touchdowns or game winning plays to define him. He does so in his off the field actions. The Steel City just got itself one more champion, long before the first W is written into the books. One of those images from 2ndhandimages would look pretty good hanging up in a living room right next to a terrible towel, just sayin.
On a side note, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I basically have a love affair with music. Besides approving the writing on his blog I also don't think there is one song on his playlist that I don't like, in fact I have most of them on my phone- yes I am one of the people who actually go thru the songs people put on their playlists. So happy reading & LISTENING.
On a side note, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I basically have a love affair with music. Besides approving the writing on his blog I also don't think there is one song on his playlist that I don't like, in fact I have most of them on my phone- yes I am one of the people who actually go thru the songs people put on their playlists. So happy reading & LISTENING.
Hope you enjoy today's favorites. Shoot me an email with your favorite non-profit - I'm always looking for great new organizations to support. Also feel free to pass along other great blogs I should look at. Have a HAPPY FRIDAY!

No comments:
Post a Comment