Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Coverage

There's just something about summer that makes you want to listen to some great music - ok actually its every season.  Music is just such a part of my life as I'm sure you can tell by some of my post titles.  Sometimes a perfect day can be had by just turning on some pandora, grooveshark, or iTunes.

Last week I posted about all of the different versions of Hallelujah  with my favorite being Jeff Buckley's cover.  Right now I'm feeling a bit scattered so writing would just leave me with a jumbled mess.  So instead I leave you with some of my other favorite covers.  All videos are from Youtube.

One of my favorite songs will always be Under the Bridge. Originally by Red Hot Chili Peppers this song has gotten around.   I think some of my favorite covers have been a friend picking up his guitar and just playing.  But here are a few of my favorite "professional" covers.  Keep in mind there are some really not so great covers of this song, if you need a laugh check them out.  Remember the band All Saints?  Yeah, hearing their songs take me back.  Hearing them cover this song makes me want to go back to a time before I heard their version.

The original


This version is actually from the Vitamin String Quartet.  It is so moving.  There have been other symphonies that have covered this.   Beautiful is the only way to describe this version.

Another song that will always remain a favorite is The Freshman by Verve Pipe.

 The original

Thanks to Pandora I'm now a fan of Jay Brannan's cover

This next cover is interesting because I hate really dislike the original version, for some reason it is one of the most annoying songs ever to me.  Pretty ironic that a girl who loves hip hop/ lists Jay-Z as her favorite artist would not like the hip hop version, but what can I say - I'm complex.  Anyways, the song is Outkast's Hey Ya.  Since I know it has been stuck in your head once or twice I am not going to subject you to it again, buttt thanks again to Pandora I found I love this version.

Matt Wendel's version of Hey Ya

Last, but not least.  I can't say I'm a fan of Glee.  In fact I've never actually watched an episode so I can't judge it (that much).  But my sister is a fan and I have bought/she has bought the majority of the CD's so in one of our many car trips I have heard some of Glee.  The basically cover all songs.  I do however have to give them a shot out for their cover of Empire State of Mind. They actually do a good job with Bruno Mar's Marry You as well


The man, the legend - Jay-Z

Glee's Version


What are some of your favorite songs or favorite songs that are covered?  Enjoy & happy listening!


2 comments:

  1. Great post! Hearing the Freshman took me back to Homecoming float meetings when I was a Freshman.

    Abbey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought for sure your comment was going to be about Glee lol. Glad it took you back, glad you guys were literal and listened to it when yinz were freshman. knowing you I think I already know the answer, but which version did you like best? Also what is your favorite Glee cover?

    ReplyDelete