As I mentioned I've been compiling mental a list of things I HAVE to do when I get back to Pittsburgh. Don't get me wrong, I love Charlotte & have enjoyed exploring the city. To me it will always be analogous to a secret love - fun while it lasted, but you a always go back to what is dependable, safe, and makes you feel at home. Pittsburgh is my home. Always was, always will be no matter what any mailing address ever says.
Originally I was going to post my list for you guys, but figured I might as well make it my Friday Favorites: My Favorite Pittsburgh Things. This is Part One - technically this is my Favorite Neighborhoods/Areas in Pittsburgh. I'll feature a few more next week as well - Yes, there really are that many things.
I was talking to a friend the other day about the different neighborhoods in Pittsburgh. Each one has its own uniqueness often attributed to the contributions of a certain ethnicity. Pittsburgh was the perfect city for immigrants to come to and get jobs so when they came they would move to 'hoods where people from their countries in the "old world" lived. And considering people don't often move out of the 'burgh houses were passed down generation after generation leaving strong cultural ties. Its unique because you can go to a certain 'hood & experience something different.
Since I'm not in the city, unlike most posts the majority of these pictures are not mine, bet your sick of the iPhone pictures anyways. If you have any questions let me know. I'll update you guys on how my return to the area goes & tell you what "new" things I found when I go to each of these neighborhoods. If you ever come to Pittsburgh I recommend just going to these 'hoods and walking around. Lose yourself in the area, I promise if you really do get lost a friendly Pittsburgher will put you on the right track.
SHADY SIDE
Shady Side is one of my favorite places in Pittsburgh. I have a weakness for Victorian or old homes & love to just simply walk around Shady Side and peak at the houses. Whether it is for a year with one of my best friends who has the same affinity as I do or permanently with a family I will live in Shady Side at some point in my life. This affluent neighborhood is so close to the city, yet manages to have quiet little streets. Besides adorable houses there are the shops, mostly along Walnut Street. There is nothing better than getting a cup of coffee and walking into the boutiques. There are a chain stores (at one point the only Apple Store in the area was here), but the majority are independently owned. They are the type that you go into to find something unique. After working up an appitite shopping we normally check out one of the cute little resturants. I'm a fan of Girasole an Italian restaurant that has an interior that is so different - almost like you are eating in a cave. I'm also a fan of Shady Grove for drinks & food. One place I've heard of recently that I want to check out is Kanok a Thai restaurant
OAKLAND
Is where the main campus of The University of Pittsburgh is located so it makes up the biggest student population in this college town. There are of course cute little shops and restaurants, I'm a fan of walking from Oakland to Shady Side. Even though there are so many fun & young things to do in the area my favorite place to visit is St. Paul's Cathedral. It is just beyond gorgeous. If I knew I could fill more than 5 pews I so would get married there some day. With all the colleges and businesses Oakland is always thriving and bustling. I love that you can go to a museum, park, and then go out for the night all right in Oakland.
![]() |
| Source |
![]() |
| Saint Pauls Source |
Took these too awhile ago at the park. Refreshing to have "nature' in the middle of the city. I wouldn't recommend getting into the water ever in this life time, but its still nice to have. That's Pitt's Cathedral of Learning in the background.
South Side/Station Square/Mount Washington
THE CITY
![]() |
| Taken from PNC park a few years ago |
Downtown has a special place in my heart. We do have a Downtown (dah tahn is what a yinzer would call it) and Uptown. Within the city there are numerous different spots such as Market Square, The Cultural District, "Downtown," Uptown, The North Shore, and The Point. The N. Shore probably could be considered it's own 'hood, but I consider them one and the same. Going to school at Duquesne I spent a lot of time in the city. There really are too many great things to list for you to do. In Market Square you can check out one of the City's Primanti Bros resturants (warning, your sandwich will come with 'slaw & fries ON IT, do not ask for either on the side, you get mean looks and that's just from your fellow patrons - trust me I've felt the glares first hand. Thought they were going to not let me ever wear black and gold again). Market Square is the place where you have to go if you're 21+ on St. Patrick's day. I'm not Irish, but I tell you I try to never miss it. You can also do some shopping at Macy's in the city and then head over to the N. Shore for a Pirates or Steelers game depending on the season. A la Vegas you can check out the Rivers Casino as well.
South Side/Station Square/Mount Washington
![]() |
| View from Mt. Wash a few years ago |
I clump the three of these together because when I go to one I normally go to another one as well. What is perfect about "Sah Side (yup that's yinzer speak) and Station Square is you can shop, eat, walk around during the day then play at night. There are all sorts of cultural restaurants and shops. South Side also has more bars than you can count (and if you try to go to all of them you will not be able to count by the end of the night). Its great because you can go on a mini bar crawl and everyone in the group will be happy because you are sure to find a bar to fit each personality. I have had many a great girls nights in the SS. I always try to go to the Hofbrauhaus when I'm around. It's a German beer house where they make their own beer (as in, don't go in and order a miller light). Even though I'm German most of the food kinda freaks me out, but you cannot beat the beer & people dancing on benches to live music. Station Square also has bars & restaurants it its cool cause you are right on the river. I don't venture up to Mount Washington for much other than the view. You can ride up the Incline to get to the overlook. Yes, the thing looks rickety and like you will fall to your death, but its worth the experience & nobody has gotten hurt (as far as I know). And take it down too please. Every year some idiot misses the last ride for the night and tries to climb down the hill. Impossible. The only way you will get down that way is when the fire department hauls you back up and you ride a squad car down - don't say I didn't warn you. Anyways, there are places, but I never do. I just go to the outlook for the view of the city. Yes, I'm biased, but man we have one heck of a gorgeous city.
THE STRIP
Ok so I tried to explain this to a non-Pittsburgher and was asked, "wait you mean a strip club?" No, sir you are off. The Strip is the part of Pittsburgh that is one of my favorites. There is a line of stores, restaurants etc. The shops though mostly sell food from different cultures, fresh veggies/fruits/flowers, or sells Pittsburgh stuff (aka 95% of the clothing that Pittsburghers wear comes from, ok I kid maybe only 50%). Go on a Saturday during the fall. I HATE crowds of people. I get claustrophobic, yet, I do bare with it when I'm in the Strip because its worth it. I just love that while most of the Mom & Pop stores in America have closed they manage to hold on in this little speck of the US. I mean where else can you get handmade fresh homemade bread? Or get an Italian cheese before picking up some Chinese or Greek spices? I really love the differences in cultures and love that this area is a mini melting pot. I also don't mind paying $5 for a T-shirt. And getting fresh vegetables. Go you will not be disappointed.
Ok, so I know that there are soooo many neighborhoods. I mean I even left off the area where I used to live, but these are just some of my favorites. These are the places that I cannot wait to visit in the next month or so. These are the places that I have missed.
Hope you enjoy! Where are some of your favorite places either in Pittsburgh or in your city? I'd love to hear about them or your thoughts on these areas. I look forward to the e-mails & suggestions. I especially would love to hear what "new" places might have come to the area that I have missed!
HAPPY FRIDAY!! Enjoy the weekend :)
HAPPY FRIDAY!! Enjoy the weekend :)






Shadyside is beautiful! We were there for the Apple store the other day, and I never realized how cute it was down there. I loved all the little shops and houses. :)
ReplyDeleteShady Side might be one of my all time favorite places. One of the things Im most looking forward to being back.
ReplyDelete