![]() | ||||||
| Hines Ward at the Super Bowl Victory Parade |
I think my ‘burgh card might be revoked if a self-proclaimed Yinzer/Steelers fan like myself did not talk about Hines Ward. Today is the day the “Mirror Ball Trophy” will be given out –Im of course pulling for him to take it home (or at least beat Kirstie Alley, I respect what she has done, but that's like losing to the Browns).
Ward has been one of my favorite players because he is one of those players who catch game winning passes, but is also not afraid to make hard defense-like hits. No matter WHAT he is doing on the field he does it with this huge grin.
This off-season Ward has made the best of the lock-out and has been a contestant on ABC’s Dancing with the Stars. I will admit prior to this season I only watched episodes every once in awhile checking in on contestants I like. There are only a few shows I watch regularly so for DWTS to hook me means a lot. And hook me they did. Heck, Ive actually voted for Hines on every forum possible, I can honestly say I neverrrr would have thought that I would cast a vote for someone on a reality TV show.
Maybe its because the Super Bowl loss still stings a bit or the fear of no football is palpable, but Steeler Nation really has rallied behind Hines. What is even more amazing is Hines might not have even needed fan votes – he has rocked every dance he has done as well as become one of the judges favorites. From the Steelers teammates coming to show support, the terrible towels in the background, to Ward looking completely at ease you would think it was Monday Night Football at Heinz Field.
I can’t dance. That is not self-deprecating, I have had that fact confirmed by those who are honest with me. I also normally wont dance. There were a few times I would have to do a dance for school events –I realize this might make me sound unstable – but before each of those events I seriously hoped for a broken leg, foot, anything. So I appreciate someone like Hines facing his fears and getting out there. He has learned all sorts of different dances doing well in all of them, showing that he really has become a dancer, something he has embraced. Ward has gone up against Disney stars & other performers and not only has he been able to hang but he has beat a lot of them.
There is a lot that makes you love Ward on the field as well as on the ballroom floor, but this journey also showed the good in Ward when the spot light is on him. I HATE to bring this up because the media made a bigger deal out of it than I think they should, especially because of the ridiculous/only half true headlines they wrote. But, there was the incident where the person driving him home forgot to tell police she found her car that she reported stolen (probably not the smartest thing she has ever done) leading to the duo being surrounded by police at gunpoint. I first want to commend Ward for not driving after having a few drinks as he admitted. He further showed he was a class act by not pointing fingers, accepting the police’s apology and moving on. Im sure the incident provided some hassle and having guns pointed at you would make emotions run high – yet he was understanding about it all.
Jimmy Kimmel's interpretation of the incident (from Youtube)
Most recently his partner suffered what could have potentially been a life altering injury. The emotion that Ward showed is something that you can't fake. He truly cares about his partner & Kym Johnson showed true Steeler's toughness and preformed. The video is below and I recommend tuning in around the 2:10 mark because the injury is not easy to watch. I'm glad Johnson is ok and kudos for the two of them going through with the dance. Adversity is just a stepping stone to becoming a champ.
The couple dancing like Champs (from Youtube)
Last night was the freestyle & the couple pulled out all the stops and rocked the house. They did their interpretation of a half time show - I guarantee I'd never use half-time as a bathroom/refill my drink break again if this is what I could expect. The judges loved it with Carrie Ann Inaba calling it more than a half-time show, but "the whole damn super bowl." I also give props to Johnson for trusting both herself & Ward by having some crazy lifts in the dance, they certainly added to it, but no one would have blamed her if she would have dropped them from the routine. ABC easily saved the best for last & I can't wait and see what tonight has in store.
Freestyle Dance (From Youtube)
I bet you bars in Pittsburgh will be having this on, but since I sometimes have a hard enough time convincing Charlotte bars to turn on the game I think Im going to go get ready to settle in & watch the finals. Maybe I should go get my jersey out of hibernation & crack open a beer. GO TEAM HINES & KYM - Win or lose you couldn't have made Steeler Nation any more proud.
HERE WE GO!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment