As I said in my inaugural post who you think I am will be shaped by what you read in my blog. To get you started here is a tidbit about me along with my some of my favorite things that will probably make their way into a post or so.
First of all I am a 23 year old who was born & bred in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and by born & bred I mean I lived in the same home from the day I came home from the hospital to the day I left for college. I still have the same room in my house & even though my zip code is now hours away I consider that my home & my current residence my apartment, Ill explain this in a bit. I am a yinzer whether I want to be or not. Now if you’re from Pittsburgh you know exactly what I mean, if not & you hear my voice reading out these words you probably think I just sneezed. So here is a brief definition, now there are different ways to describe it so I am going to describe it in the light most favorable to me as well as the way that actually describes me. Most simply a “yinzer” uses the word yinz (many different spellings) which is slang for you guys, you all, etc. Try as I might I cannot stop using it. Steve Jobs tried his best to break me of my habit, but my iPhone no longer corrects me.
My version of a yinzer also describes my love for the Pittsburgh Steelers, Pens, & Pirates. Here’s the thing, if all of a sudden our government imposed a new law saying you could not wear the colors black and gold I would have 5 outfits (I kid, but only slightly exaggerate). I also love the Pittsburgh Panthers. The love for my home teams will be evident & that’s why I am fully disclosing this now. If you are one of those people who hate Pittsburgh fans just to hate them you may want move your mouse up to the top of the browser & click the X. I don’t want to turn you away, but I do so for your own sanity. I promise this is not a sports blog & I when blogging about Pittsburgh sports I will not always look at them through rose-colored glasses…I mean really I just admitted that I’m a Pirates fan, if I was always “Pittsburgh sports are wonderful” I would have left them off of my list. I wish I could add Pittsburgh in front of this team as well, but I am also a huge Los Angeles Lakers fan. Anyways. Back to the description of my yinzer besides sports teams a Pittsburgher embodies a hard-working tough person. They say hi to anyone walking past them & welcome people of all walks of life into their hearts. Pittsburghers believe that their city truly is the best.
Anyways, back to me. I have an older sister (5 year difference) who I adore. Always have. Always will. Her name was the first word I said so its clear she has been my best friend from the start. Yes, we might bicker –note I didn’t say fight- but the special thing about sisters, no fight will ever stop you from being friends. Its weird having her so far away from me, but I am thankful for our skype dates, morning texts, and the care packages & cards. WITHOUT fail there are two things I can count on when I come back to my apartment after a trip home or someplace else: That it will have the new apartment smell as it did the day I moved in as well as there will be a card from my sister. I love that & I love her.
I graduated from Duquesne University in 2010. My first post established that besides a pretty piece of paper Im still trying to figure out what I can do with the degree I received there. One thing I am sure is my education I got happened outside of the classroom as well. Those 4 years also gave me more memories than I could have ever imagined & the best of friends. The piece of paper though will cost me numerous pieces of green paper some day-my current theory though is student loans don’t exist- please don’t wake me up to reality on this one.
As I mentioned I am in law school. In August 2010 I moved to Charlotte to attend school. I love Charlotte. Its not necessarily a bad thing, but I know I would have always lived in Pittsburgh had I not moved when I did. I some times like to feel uncomfortable. I think by putting yourself in different experiences you learn to adapt and feel alive. While I miss Pittsburgh especially the people I left behind I am glad I have this experience. It was what was right for me at the time I did it. While some times I wonder if it was right or wrong to do I know I am a better person for it as well as don’t regret it because I did not regret it in the moment I did it.
I have a slight obsession for coffee. Nobody who lived in my house has really drank coffee. Growing up – before I was in grade school – my Grandmother would come over for breakfast and would drink coffee and give me the remaining sips – keep in mind this was the early 90’s so there was no need for the protective bubble that some kids today are put in –I promise the kids who used to eat ‘paste’ have turned out ok! Anyways I think that’s where my love started. Then I realized that it can wake you up. I seriously smile some mornings after my first sip of coffee. Anyone who has lived with me knows Im not necessarily a mean morning person, but Im not one to just jump out of bed I used to want to own my own coffee shop, but I’ve grown up & think it will be a bar. Mainly because I have this theory on Starbucks. And by theory I do mean I wrote a 25 page paper on Starbucks (don’t you wish you were a Comm. Major now?), but we will save that for another day. Plus, I love my Keurig too much to own a real coffee shop. I sometimes online coffee K-cup shop the same way that I do for clothes or other ‘fun’ things. Don’t judge. Ok, go ahead, it is boarder line disturbing my obsession. What is funny though is unless its finals or another sleep-depriving season I only drink one cup a day – or at least try too. This wasn’t always the case, but one really bad caffinee withdrawl day will teach you.
Other things I love: photography, Netflix, travel, animals, volunteering, apperantly Apple (phone, computer, speakers, ipod – somehow I’ve become a stereotype), Sunrises/Sunsets – skies (my mom and I somehow always see beautiful ones together, its our ‘thing’) colored sharpies, music, the color dark purple, sarcasm, Christmas lights, candles, and many more.
So I guess if I had a self portriate of myself made up of words this is what would be in the frame. I can’t promise I will always be right for you, but I can promise to be honest to both of us. If you come back for future posts you have a little bit of what to expect.
I loved reading this about you, Mallory! I obviously knew a lot of it, but you are great at expressing it all in words. Can't wait to keep reading. :)
ReplyDeleteAwe you are so sweet! Thanks Jess!
ReplyDelete