Monday, May 9, 2011

can you take it

So I was planning on posting a little bit about myself for yinz, but that can wait.  One thing I will tell you is I love basketball.  College, high school, street-ball, movies about basketball – I love it all.  Yet, the NBA isn’t something I follow as much as my love would lead you to believe.  Clearly by my admittance of being a huge Steelers fan I am not one of those people who think that professional athletes are sell outs or that they give up playing with heart.  I don’t know maybe there are just too many games too keep up with. 

I do however love the Lakers.  Always have always will.  Clearly there isn’t a lacking of talent, but besides that Im not sure what has drawn this east coast girl to loving the Lakers & Kobe.  Yes, Pittsburgh doesn’t have a team (though Pitt BB gives me enough quality basketball to finally be ok with that), but why I picked the Lakers I don’t know.
One thing I do know is you are either a Lakers fan or you hate them, same goes with Kobe.  There doesn’t seem to be an in between.  I get that a lot with the Steelers, but at least when someone hates the Steelers they at least normally say its because they are “too damn good.”  The Lakers are just that good, but people normally say they are over-rated & that there are better teams/players.  Sorry people, but fans or not you have to have respect –they have become a dynasty. 

However, I must admit I was disappointed in the Lakers performance yesterday –while at the same time happy for Mark Cuban, making me Pittsburgh Proud once again (I think this latest victory will earn him at least another cameo on Entourage). No need to tell me any broom jokes, I’ve heard them all. 0-4, they got swept away, I get that.  Win or lose they are still my team.  Yesterday though it wasn’t the loss- or the 3 prior losses, but rather HOW they lost.  Kobe to me is the greatest current NBA player & one of the all time greats- following closely behind MJ. Im glad he played he showed what a champion is, someone who can lose with grace.  Too bad not all his brothers in purp & gold got the memo.  LO was making LA look good all year & I respected that he accepted the 6th man role, but his move here: Lamar Odom unnecessary push clip from nba.com was just classless. The frustration was palpable & I don’t think he was trying to hurt anyone, but there still is no place for that behavior. 

Andrew Bynum like Lamar Odom didn’t get the news that the only fight this weekend should have been between Pacquiao & Mosley.  Unlike Odom I don’t know if I can extend the reassurance that Bynum wasn’t trying to hurt anyone.  He took a cheap - unnecessary -shot. You can judge for yourself: Bynum cheap shot clip from nba.com I understand competitiveness & aggravation, but its upsetting enough seeing injuries from in game mishaps let alone a player TRYING to hurt someone.  I do think sometimes playing extra tough D or getting T-ed up for showing excessive emotion can help swing the momentum your teams way, but lets be honest at this point even if 3 of the Mavs players sat down the Lakers weren’t coming back.  I -on some level- appreciate the emotion that those two had, but they had to have been embarrassed & frustrated from the last 3 games & should have used their heart to get the game going their way from the start.  The fact that Bynum immediately walked off the court makes me believe that there was enough forethought about what he was going to do before he did it – he knew he was wrong.
  Whats even sadder is not only were Bynum & Odom lacking remorse after the game, but they left it up to their coach & star player to try to man up for what THEY did.  Whats worse is the Lakers season is over so while fines can be paid immediately suspensions –if they come- will have to wait, starting the next NBA season with a tarnish.

Like I said if the Lakers are playing I want them to win –hopefully the next time they play they do so with dignity.  If they aren’t I like players from almost every other team so its heard to throw my loyalty to just one team in another match up. 

With the Lakers out I almost want to throw my support to the Celtics, based off of their game the other night. One player who deserves a shout out is Rajon Rondo.  Its nice to see a player who has heart and class.  To see what I mean check out this video – I warn it is not for the faint of heart, If you can’t make it through say most Greys Anatomy scenes DO NOT WATCH this video, I think gushing blood is better than this: Rondo Injury clip from NBA.com.  So dislocated arm and all Rondo came back into the game. Gruesome to watch, but so were the Laker videos- at least this one leaves you wanting to root for someone.  And I sure do want to root for Rondo- I believe his injury happened because of one of those in game mishaps I was talking about, but when you get INJURED & KNOW who injured you it is easy to play the blame game and retaliate, but Rondo knows what it is to be a man & how to get back at someone who hurt you in the best way possible – by grabbing the W. 

Sending good vibes to you -Mallory

No comments:

Post a Comment