![]() |
| Wonder if Cam Newton will get to play here this year? |
So some people have asked my opinion on the lockout -NFL for anyone who somehow has avoided hearing about this. I really didn't want to write this post because I honestly feel that since I'm not a party involved I really shouldn't speak of it. Yes, I will be disappointed if I cannot see my beloved Steelers play this fall, but the world will still spin and I will be more productive as I will no longer have a reason to consume beer on a Sunday. Like I said, I will miss it, but that is nothing in comparison to the people who have a stake in this deal. With that disclosure being said I do have an opinion, here it goes.
The first people who are going to suffer are the players. While I really feel for all of them I really feel for three specific groups. Those who are at the end of their career. Maybe their "prime" was a few years ago, but they wanted to give it one more go. It would be sad for them to fade away instead of going out in the glory they deserve. Using the Steelers for example, I feel Hines Ward has a few more solid years & hopefully another ring in him. But with a year off they are seriously taking time away from him. Potential records. I also feel bad for those players who are either between teams or new draftees. Take Cam Newton. The words "with the first pick in the 2011 draft the Carolina Panthers select Cam Newton" potentially set Newton up for the year of his life. Yet, he cannot fully enjoy this like he deserves. He can't go through his rookie year like all those in front of him did. Lastly, I feel for the players at the lower end of the salary cap. I mean could you afford to just take a year off? And for all players I hope that any portion of the lock out does not open them up to injuries since they will have less time to practice as a team or get warmed up for the season as a team with their regular trainers.
A year off is expensive to everyone; players, owners, coaches, cities, all the stadium workers, etc.
But I think there are ripple effects that won't be known or that cannot be charted. Say there is a season. Somewhere in the country a dad (grandparent, mom, uncle, etc.) is going to take his little son (daughter, nephew, sister, etc.) to an NFL game. The little boy is going to be beaming all week until Sunday when they drive down to the stadium. Sure it will be sensory overload for this lil fellow. But they will go into the stadium. All bundled in a winter coat he will eat a hot dog most likely getting some ketchup on his already rose-colored nose while his father drinks an over priced beer. The game will be close and just when they little boy might be getting antsy it will happen - the play. The play will probably make the top 10 on sportscenter that night. It will be the play that will forever bond father & son. It will be a play that the generation talks about for years to come. More so it will be the play that will make the little boy fall in love with the game. Right then and there - in the midst of cheering and hooting and hollering - he will decide that he wants to make those plays someday. Right then and there a future Hall of Famer will be born. Of course many of the NFL players today learned to love the game in a different way or are born with the talent, but you have to wonder how many fall in love with the game in this very way. By having the lockout some kid might not fall in love with the game. By having the lockout some father-son (mother-daughter, etc) might miss out on memories like this.
![]() |
| Let's Hope We Get to See this in 2011 |
I honestly feel if this deal was worked out in a bar somewhere it would have been done by now. Here's to hoping both sides are able to reach a deal soon. HERE WE GO.
MH


No comments:
Post a Comment