I thought my blogging days were over, but I needed to share some thoughts. Some honest, raw and unedited thoughts
I believe that we all have a civic duty to make
the world a better place, give as much as or more than we take, and speak up
when we see injustice. I am most likely too opinionated or political for the
liking of some, but those who love me probably do so because of, not despite
those characteristics. Anyone who truly knows me knows that I support gay
marriage. Though I actually
support marriage, no defining characteristic needed, because I don’t know why
we must imply that one type of marriage is any different than another.
I have debated,
written about, educated myself about, and made vocal comments about this topic.
The biggest question I always get when voicing my opinion is "why do
you care if you are not gay?" I care because we all should care. In
my core I believe that unless we are all equal none of us truly are equal. I
also believe in love, that unfailing,
unconditional, you couldn't stop it even if you wanted to love. I know that
if someone tried to stop me from loving someone who had my heart I would fight
for my rights and thus must fight for the rights of others.
I think it
is interesting that while people are constantly fighting (often physically) to
stop violence people are also fighting to stop love. That should be the one
thing we all embrace. While our world is far from perfect and wounds of past
injustices are still fresh take one look at history and you realize those
enforcing prejudice, inequality and injustice always turn out to be the ones
who were wrong.
Most people are not bad people and this just is not a personal issue for them. Many say, “if I was gay or knew someone who was maybe my opinion would be different.” For one I can guarantee you know someone who is gay, you just might not realize it. For another let me tell you about some people who I think deserve the same rights as you. They are people who love despite the fact that they might never get a fairy tale wedding. They love despite the fact that their love might never be recognize by any entity other than themselves. They love despite the fact they might never get the same "benefits" as their peers. They are people who have at one point or another faced harassment by being physically or verbally tormented. They are people who have loved deeply and have had heartbreak. They have been in long term committed relationships. They are people like you and me. They cannot turn off emotions just like you cannot. They are some of the very best people I know and they are some of the truest friends I have ever had. I have been surprised by, cried with, laughed with, been cared for, loved by and embraced by each and every gay friend that I have. I have introduced them to my family, celebrated holidays with and loved deeply all of my gay friends as they have done in return. They are plain and simple just another one of my friends, another part of my second family. Some of the world’s best leaders -who are both driven and kind- are gay. Some of the best parents are gay. So you can no longer hide behind the fact that you don’t know anyone who is gay or about anyone who is gay. Ignorance never has been an acceptable excuse and it sure will not be allowed in this case.
Most people are not bad people and this just is not a personal issue for them. Many say, “if I was gay or knew someone who was maybe my opinion would be different.” For one I can guarantee you know someone who is gay, you just might not realize it. For another let me tell you about some people who I think deserve the same rights as you. They are people who love despite the fact that they might never get a fairy tale wedding. They love despite the fact that their love might never be recognize by any entity other than themselves. They love despite the fact they might never get the same "benefits" as their peers. They are people who have at one point or another faced harassment by being physically or verbally tormented. They are people who have loved deeply and have had heartbreak. They have been in long term committed relationships. They are people like you and me. They cannot turn off emotions just like you cannot. They are some of the very best people I know and they are some of the truest friends I have ever had. I have been surprised by, cried with, laughed with, been cared for, loved by and embraced by each and every gay friend that I have. I have introduced them to my family, celebrated holidays with and loved deeply all of my gay friends as they have done in return. They are plain and simple just another one of my friends, another part of my second family. Some of the world’s best leaders -who are both driven and kind- are gay. Some of the best parents are gay. So you can no longer hide behind the fact that you don’t know anyone who is gay or about anyone who is gay. Ignorance never has been an acceptable excuse and it sure will not be allowed in this case.
So on this
historical day, a day that will hopefully end on the side of justice I urge you
to support love, one of the most basic fundamental needs. Hopefully justice
will fall on the side of equality.
If not the fight is far from over and I hope you stand with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment