Friday, September 16, 2011

It's Friday.



If I could I would make a calendar without the date September 16.  Unfortunately the reality is I can't.  Today it has been 11 years since my dad died.  While it was hard losing him I do try to realize I was lucky to survive the car accident.  I try to live everyday in a manner that would make him proud and do try to live a happy life.  I do however give myself this day to just let my emotions be whatever they may be. Needless to say I'm not really in a Friday Favorites sort of mood.  I promise next week I will have the regularly scheduled Friday Favorites.

Here though are a few of my favorite father/daughter things/memories in no particular order:

My dad and I took a trip to Florida/Disney when I was in second grade.  I had a perpetually bad hair day the whole week, according to my dad he say Disney one outside of a women's restroom at a time, Space Mountain was "out of order" according to my afraid of heights dad (the Tower of Terror was just a plain "no"), and we followed a tour bus down a road only to be stopped by a gun-wielding security guard.  Despite all of this it was one of the best weeks of my life.  I will forever be thankful for that time.

Going to sporting events with my dad.  That's where my love of sports developed.

Ironically enough, some of my best memories were in a car driving aimlessly with my dad.  Any time he had to run an errand I would tag along.  Beings that I wasn't even a teenager I am sure many of the conversations were trivial, but I could talk to my dad about anything.

A minute before my dad died he told me he loved me.  That moment has more importance than I would have ever imagined.

These are just a few of my favorite things.  Every moment was special because it was one moment that we had together.  While they say time heals they are only half right.  As you get older it gets harder realizing all of the things that a person you loved will miss.

Hug the ones you love a little bit extra tight tonight.

Happy Friday & Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment